SanDisk U3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SanDisk U3

Post by Crapper on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Well, talked to Devil and he was curious about this so, for all of those who're interested here's what you can do with a SanDisk U3 USB-stick
First off, the U3 enabled USB-sticks from SanDisk comes with a small application called the "LaunchPad". This is installed as a CD on the USB-stick so the filesystem is CDFS (CD(Compact Disk)File System) again the most common one is ISO-9660 but there are others. Problem with this nifty little thing is that you can alter the ISO that's on that part of the USB-stick but it's only ~6mb so, not much you can install on it.
Here's the thing though, if you download the U3 LaunchPad Installer and U3 LaunchPad Remover from here http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/driver-download-wizard (chose the stick you have) and 7-Zip from here http://www.7-zip.org/download.html you have all you need to make a bigger CDFS partition on your U3.
Here's how it goes:
1: Download 7-Zip
2: Download U3 LaunchPad Installer
3: Downlaod U3 LaunchPad Remover
4: Install 7-Zip
5: Extract U3 LaunchPad Installer to a folder of your choice
6: Run the U3 LaunchPad Remover (save what you have on the USB-stick if you have anything)
7: Open the folder where you extracted U3 LaunchPad Installer to
8: Create a file called qa.ini (explanation on how to do this is further down)
9: Save the qu.ini in the same folder as you extracted U3 LaunchPad Installer to
10: Remane the folder that you extracted U3 LaunchPad Installer to to something short (maybe just "lp")
11: Move the folder you renamed to your C: drive (C:\lp)
12: Open the "lp" folder and rename the file "LPInstaller.exe to something short (maybe "lp" again)
13: Open a command-prompt (Start-> Run-> cmd)
14: Type: cd c:\lp (if you named the folder "lp" that is)
15: Type c:\lp.exe local
16: Follow the instructions *
17: You're done

[CREATING THE QA.INI FILE]
1: Right-click anywhere and chose "Text Document"
2: In the document you write these 2 lines
[QA]
LocalISOPath=H:\iso_images\xp_pro_sp3.iso
(if that's what you want and where you have the new ISO)
3: File-> Save As (chose "All Files") and save it as qa.ini
4: Close the document

* Although the application says "1 Second Remaining" it's not true. The application doesn't count bytes written to the CDFS part of the U3 drive so, if your ISO is 600mb, it'll ofc take a whole lot longer to finish. For me, doing this with a Win7 installation took a great deal of time. I had time to make coffee and walk Chivas (my dog if you don't know by now) and it was done when I cam back.

So, why go through all of this? For me, it was easier because I had to install Win7 on 4 different PCs so I wanted to find a way to do it without having a CD with me every time and on top of that I could have Office 2007 and other programs on the same stick so everything was in one place. Other good reasons could be (if you have one of the big sticks that is 8-16gb) to make the iso and after you install Windows or some other OS, install all the programs you want and make a ghost image of it to put on the stick. That way, if you have to install again at a later date you have everything on the stick and ready to go. Or, you can put Hirens' Boot CD (~80mb) on it so you always have tools to fix PCs wherever you go.
What I did was put Hirens on the ISO part and then use Universal USB Installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ to put an ISO of Linux on the part of the USB-stick that's not a "CD drive". You can also put Windows on that part of it just by chosing "Try Some Other Live Linux ISO" and point the program to where you have a Windows ISO. That way you can diagnose a PC, make a fresh install if need be and lots of other things. Note that for the installation of Windows (or any other ISO located on the USB-stick) to work, the PC you're using needs to be able to boot from USB. Look in the BIOS for that option.

- Crapper

.:: Lol, why do I always make such long-winded technical posts Rolling Eyes

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Re: SanDisk U3

Post by Devil on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:14 am

Crapper wrote:.:: Lol, why do I always make such long-winded technical posts Rolling Eyes

No no, this was just fine, and I might use this since it so happens that sometimes I get around with fixing pc's as well, and this could be of great use.

Ty C Wink , nice follow through. The only thing: I think you could have explained this part a bit better:

"2: In the document you write these 2 lines
[QA]
LocalISOPath=H:\iso_images\xp_pro_sp3.iso (if that's what you want and where you have the new ISO)"

I get that "H:" is probably a partition and "iso_images" is the folder you have your iso's in (like xp_pro_sp3) but I figure it might be a bit harder to read and follow through with the re-creation of the QA file generally.

Besides that, awesome job ^^
Devil
I am a Babo in real life!
I am a Babo in real life!

Clan : V

Back to top Go down

Post by Crapper on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 am

About the:
[QA]
LocalISOPath=H:\iso_images\xp_pro_sp3.iso

part of the post.

Yes, H:\ refers to a partition or another harddisk.
Yes, iso_images\ refer to a folder where the .ISO image is located
Yes, xp_pro_sp3.iso could be the image you want to put on the U3 stick

Now, open notepad and wirte the lines as above (with a different path). Press "File-> Save As". Chose all files and write qa.ini in the "Filename" part. You MUST type qa.ini to make sure it's saved as a .ini file.
Follow the rest of the instructions from the first post.

Hope this helps more. Otherwise Dev, lets take it over MSN and see if we can find a better way to explain it Wink

- Crapper

Crapper
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 am

I use unetbootin to burn .iso images on usb sticks. They are bootable.
Select the iso, select the drive, press the button.
Sasha
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo

Clan : ►

Back to top Go down

Post by settorex on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

you may also like:

http://www.ringcube.com/products/vdesk/features.html
settorex
Friendless Babo
Friendless Babo